The 'Seigniory Oostwaard'
The coat of arms of the 'Heerlijkheid Oostwaard', in English The Seigniory 'Oostwaard" is a mute swan and has been in use since the 18th century.
The name Oostwaard is derived from the seigniory 'Oostwaard'. This 'Heerlijkheid' lies along the river De Vecht in the province of Utrecht. Oostwaard, formerly an independent jurisdiction, was originally a medieval convent estate of the Convent of Oudwijk. Since 1217, this convent estate was under the protection of the Pope and the Bishop of Utrecht. After the Reformation, Oostwaard belonged to the States of Utrecht. At the end of the 17th century, they granted the manor to a private individual. The successive owners of Oostwaard were mainly Amsterdam merchants. In the 19th century, the manor came into the hands of the Van Holthe tot Echten family by inheritance.
The seigniorial fishing rights of Oostwaard in the river De Vecht still exist and are also still being exercised. Oostwaard actively participates in the preservation of this right.