'Artlaw' is a term for legal aspects of the law with which culture/art lovers and organisations may have to deal, each from their own interests. Think of museums, auction houses, artists, art dealers and private collectors.
The following subjects may be considered:
- Restitution/claiming of art objects ;
- uncertainty about the provenance of art;
- Artists' rights (e.g. droit de suite);
- Inheritance issues (partitions);
- auction contracts;
- import and export of art
- sale/purchase contracts;
- import/export issues;
- and many other industry-related topics.
Artlaw often involves international aspects with different legal systems. The protection of culture differs from country to country; the requisitioning of art in one country creates peculiarities that do not exist in another. Cooperation in an international context occurs regularly.